McLean County Newspaper Histories
- January 14, 1837 - approximately 1840 Bloomington Observer and McLean County Advocate - Weekly - Non-political (First Newspaper published in Bloomington) Revived later as Western Whig.
- 1846 Western Whig - Daily - changed its name to the Intelligencer and then Pantagraph.
- 1855 - Pantagraph Office distroyed by the first great fire Bloomington ever experienced.
- February 23, 1857 the "Daily" was successfully started.
Illinois State Archive Newspaper Microfilm Holdings
THE LEADER (Daily and Weekly)
The "Weekly Leader" was started on November 15, 1868. This paper was so successful that on February 22, 1870 the owners began publishing the "Daily Leader." The paper at this time was Republican in politics. By 1874 the paper was being published by the Leader Company. In addition to this paper, the Leader Company published the "Alumni Journal", "Little Watchman" and the "Real Estate Journal."
THE ANTI-MONOPOLIST (Weekly)
The "Bloomington Democrat" started in April, 1868. The paper then merged with the "McLean County Anti-Monopolist", at Saybrook, which had moved its office to Bloomington and the paper adopted the title "Anti-Monopolist."
THE REPUBLICAN (Weekly)
Started in Bloomington in 1866.
ILLINOIS TRADE JOURNAL
A Commercial paper started in November 1872.
THE BANNER OF HOLINESS
A religious newspaper started in October 5, 1872.
THE McLEAN COUNTY DEUTSCHE PRESSE (German Weekly)
Started by a company in 1871. At that time the paper favored the liberal movement.
THE WEEKLY ENTERPRISE, OF LEXINGTON
Began January 1, 1873. At that this time the paper took no sides in political matters.
At one time the "Saybrook Banner" was published in Lexington but was removed to Saybrook on December 18, 1872. "The Banner" was changed to "McLean County Anti-Monopolist", and was subsequently consolidated with the "Anti-Monopolist" of Bloomington.
Began July, 1867.
Started in January, 1868. Succeeded the "McLean County Journal". In November, 1868, the paper was sold and succeeded by the "Leader."
A "Normal" edition of the "Bloomington Journal".